Monday, March 19, 2012

Reading/Writing Reflection #3

Reading/Writing Reflection #3

Reading Reflection:

I’ve decided to put down Metro 2033. It was a tough decision, but one that had to be made. I don’t want to put out any spoilers into the blogosphere, but it takes a few turns near the end that I am not a fan of. That’s all I have to say about that.

In more recent reading news; I’ve picked up a new book, “Retribution Falls” by Chris Wooding, and it is the diametric opposite of Metro 2033 in every way. It takes place primarily on AIRSHIPS, is all about adventure and pirates and steampunk. The book has a great feel to it. I’m about 50 pages in, and the main conflict has yet to reveal itself, the book’s been focusing on character building, world setup; typical ‘Act 1’ business. The book’s really showing some promise; the characters are all unique and memorable, the description of the vertical world paints a beautiful picture, it’s just a fun piece of writing to read (unlike Metro 2033). It’s spring, I should be reading something fun, something adventurous! So I am. Tah dah!

I’m really into the characters in this book. The protagonist, and captain of the ‘Ketty Jay’, Darien Frey, is your atypical smuggler, Han Solo-ish ship captain, and while his character might not be very deep just yet, his crew totally is. An entire chapter was spent on a very quirky, very secondary player on the ship. It’s an interesting dynamic and I look forward to where it’s going.

Writing Reflection:

The writing’s been going less than great. I just can’t seem to pick a good moment to write about, and when I think of something it just doesn’t come out the way I want it to. I don’t think I’m experienced enough to write about any particular event, but I’ll come up with something. On a more positive note; my other secret writing project is coming along quite nicely. It’s not something that’s ready to be made public, or something that I can hand in, but it’s something I’ve been working hard on for a few months now. I hate to be so vague, but it really is a secret!

Other typical business: I need more personal additions, need to actually upload my 5 Word Memoirs (they’re done, but I don’t have the photo credits), and you know, writing stuff. All will be well.

1 comment:

  1. I like your comment about the "Han Solo-ish ship captain", do you find that there are some re-occuring character archtypes in the Sci Fi/Fantasty genre of novels?

    On the topic of your super secret writing project, I am so curious now! Will I ever find out what it is? Or will I just bump into you at a table in McNally Robinson when you are doing a book signing for your first published book?

    ReplyDelete