Monday, April 23, 2012

Reading/Writing Response #6


Reading/Writing Reflection #6

Reading Reflection:

            As Retribution Falls comes to a close I start to realize that man, man, maaaaan this is an awesome book. It’s the kind of book that goes down smooth, is easy to digest and doesn’t leave any messy leftovers: the perfect snack. Sure, there were times where a little more detail would be nice, but Wooding justifies the lack of detail by prefacing the ship as a place where people’s pasts don’t matter, and it really makes the few details revealed that much more impactful. There are a few characters in particular who I’d love to read a trilogy of spin off books on, but that interest is only there because Wooding left so much ‘up in the air’ (it’s funny ‘because the book takes place in an airship LOL).
            I’m now struggling with my usual issue when finishing a book: I Don’t Want It To End-it is. I get attached to the worlds created by the author, and, well, I usually don’t want to leave them. I guess it’s kind of extreme escapism, and that can’t be healthy. The first three quarters of books I read can usually be finished in 2-3 weeks, but that last quarter often times takes twice than unless I know I have another book to jump onto. I managed to crank out almost all the Song of Ice and Fire books in one summer, but I’ve still got the last third of Dance with Dragons to finish. Le sigh. That’ll most likely be my next reading project.
            Be excited!

Writing Reflection:

            Fashion Show. Oh man. This might have been one of the most intensive writing experiences of my short lifetime. Crunching out 2700+ words of golden dialogue in less than a week, well, that was something else. It was stressful and scary, but man, I could not be happier with the product. It was a good collaborative exercise as well; I found writing with Brendan and Joel to go way quicker than just writing by myself, though we did get less done that way. I could crank out page after page of script on my own no problem, but I didn’t have anyone to bounce ideas off of. There are pros and cons to both styles, but I found writing funny a lot easier in a group.
            Yeah. So that writing has been taking up about all of my writing efforts, and that’s sadly the only subject I can speak of, writing-wise at least. I might do a separate “Fashion Show” blog post. We’ll see.

1 comment:

  1. "I might do a separate “Fashion Show” blog post. We’ll see. "

    - Do it! Maybe Joel and other student sin the show could also write one,it would be interesting to see the different perspectives.

    ReplyDelete